Pete interview on MTV.com

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 07:18:13 CST 2007

Kurt loder has a big piece on The Who for MTV.com:
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1573367/20071102/story.jhtml

He also has new Townshend interview snippets. Here they are:

...Then, a few years ago, a retired Dutch TV producer found a can of film in his attic labeled "High Numbers," which contained the footage of the band doing the two songs cited above. He contacted the Who, the film was given an expert digital clean-up, and now here it is. Quite a story.

"It is great, isn't it?" Pete Townshend said in a recent e-mail exchange with MTV News. He noted, however, that he was only peripherally involved in creating the two-hour documentary that makes up the first disc of "Amazing Journey." The heavy lifting for the project was done by its producers, longtime Who manager Bill Curbishley and filmmakers Robert Rosenberg and Nigel Sinclair. "I run the Who film archive," Townshend said, "and they've been knocking at my door asking for stuff for the last five years. I was not involved in production."...

...Investigative journalist Duncan Campbell reported that the famed guitarist had been "falsely accused" and that the site he had accessed actually had no direct connection to child porn. Via e-mail recently, Townshend said, "Some journalists think they have the copyright on the word 'research.' I think of myself as a journalist, always have."...

...Townshend said that he and Daltrey "will continue to try to fly the Who brand flag. We feel comfortable with it, [and] we have a few ideas for the future." He said he still enjoys touring, in limited amounts, and still finds satisfaction in songwriting. "I am really enjoying writing songs that touch on getting older," he wrote, "and trying to honour what has lately been christened the 'Greatest Generation' (the one that came before the Boomers) in my music."

He also feels that his celebrated guitar skills are still evolving. "I've enjoyed being a musician lately," he said. "I look and see that sometimes I've played something new, almost like a jazz player. Notes, rather than pyrotechnics or damage. I've felt more like a journeyman, going from show to show, trying to play well and not get in the way."

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com