Ichy Age Wizard

O'Neal, Kevin W. Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org
Wed May 16 08:14:31 CDT 2007

>From: JOELTLE515 at aol.com
>Subject: Re: icky thump (sort of off topic)
>
>> I'd argue that if Pete had put this out, there would be many of us
who
>> would state that he has gone insane.
>
>I wouldn't.  I like it when they "shake it up" a bit so to speak. I was

>waiting for that on "endless wire" and didn't really find it myself.

I hear you, but it's not even close to Pete's style.
I find I have to remind myself that despite how much I want him to go
nuts like back in the day, he's not 20 anymore.
Quite to the contrary, he is nearing mid-60's and staring 70 in the
eyes.
He's also very entrenched in more "sophisticated" endeavors like plays,
book writing, editing, etc.

What is difficult to keep in focus is that we all "grow up" to varying
degrees as we grow older.
The rock torch is carried strong until about 40 (by the hardest of
rockers) but after that even the hardest rockers start to lose their
edge.  Worse yet, society as a whole starts to lose interest in old
rockers, and finds it odd.  That's a tough mountain to get over.
It is.....human nature.
We all get tired.
Energy is more difficult to find.
Fear of looking like "a clown" sets in.

Only the rare can buck the establishment for their entire lives.
That said, I think Pete and The Who has done an admirable job so late in
their careers.
They've struck a balance between carrying the torch, and maintaining
their dignity.

>> I bet he even likes Pinball Wizard.
>
>"pinball wizard" is a song I hear alot and, have to admit, grow tired
of, but it's
>not bad though. as a song in and of itself.

Exactly.

>From: "Jim M" <nakedi at comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: icky thump (sort of off topic)
>
>> Kevin in VT
>> P.S.  Who *doesn't* like Pinball Wizard.
>
>I think you meant to end that with a question mark.

Thanks for noticing!
But, nope.
I was making a statement about how The Who feels about the song.
Me personally, I'm with Ernie on this one.  I like it, but hear it so
much.
And, as documented, I see it as Pete's greatest sellout.

Kevin in VT

Confidentiality Notice: