Zimmers comment on The Who

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 05:37:29 CDT 2007

>From The Wandsworth Guardian:
http://tinyurl.com/24aqg2

Rock grannies do The Who
By Andrew Westbrook

A pair of pensioners have proved they are as rock n' roll as any teenager, and have become international stars in the process.

Friends Maura Haughey, 66, and Peggy Bohan, 65, are two of 40 wrinkly rockers to have recorded The Who's mod classic My Generation, as part of new supergroup the Zimmers.

The Irish-born grandmothers are backing-singers with the group - which has a combined age of 3,000 years - which recorded the song at the world-famous Abbey Road studios.

Devised by a BBC documentary crew, the song has now been viewed by more than 1.5million people on video-sharing website YouTube, and the band has given TV and newspaper interviews to almost 50 countries. They also have their own MySpace page.

With the proceeds going to Age Concern and band members holding up posters with slogans such as "don't write me off cos I'm 90" during the video, the project hopes to raise awareness about the plight of the elderly.

But while Roger Daltrey replacement Alf Carretta, 90, had to sing "I hope I die before I get old" from a sheet of paper having never heard the song before, Mrs Haughey had no such problem.

The former Wandsworth Council social worker, who lived in Ravensbury Road, Earlsfield, for almost 50 years, said: "I was definitely a big time Who fan. I was into that scene in a big way."

Mrs Haughey, more used to singing folk songs in the London Irish Pensioners Choir with her friend, added: "Some of the others were doing air guitars and then smashing them up, but I didn't get involved because I thought they expected us to be able to play them.

"I didn't realise it was to actually break them. I would have been ok with that. It was very exciting."

Fellow Zimmers singer Mrs Bohan, who lived in Heythorp Street, Southfields, for 37 years, revealed she also enjoyed "showing she was able to rock", but admitted: "I remember the song but it wasn't really my sort of thing. I was much more into the Beatles and Rod Stewart."

The 65-year-old, who worked at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Catholic School, in Victoria Drive, added she did not think the song would kick off a long music career.
"I think it's just a one-off thing," she said. "We're just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Going to Abbey Road was the big thing, it was quite fun really."

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com
My blog: