'Don't let royalties be paltry', begs Daltrey

Martin Bailey mbailey at netsolcq.com
Thu May 10 02:54:58 CDT 2007

> ROGER DALTREY may have sung in the Sixties that he hoped to die before he grew old, but, at 63
> and very much alive, he has now gone into battle for singers' pensions.

I agree with Roger's overall concerns here, but some of his arguments are just wrong.

Roger said:
> "Thousands of musicians have no pensions and rely on royalties to support themselves. "

I'm sorry if I sound old and boring here, but these musicians have only themselves to blame.  Musicians are just like everyone else.  And everyone else has to save a chunk of their income to guarantee a decent pension.  If they didn't save for a pension, they should only blame themselves, and not the government.

>  Songwriters, by contrast, have copyright protection for life plus 70 years.
> Singers in the US and India are protected for 95 years.

I do agree with Roger that these ages should be kept in sync though.

> "Singers interpret the songs in their own unique, creative way. Singing is my art form and I see
> my songs as important as any book or painting. That should be recognised."

Good point, Rog.  It's not often he says something like that, which made me stop and think.

-MB

All currently agreed CQ Systems Ltd Terms & Conditions and product and service Warranties are implicitly assumed with this Email.

NetSolCQ (CQ Systems Ltd trading as NetSolCQ). Registered Office Address: Planet House, North Heath Lane, Horsham RH12 5QE West Sussex England. Registered in England No 1998080. VAT:826611533