Pete's Memoirs parts 15-17

Bruce bkawak at chartertn.net
Wed Mar 28 16:00:37 CDT 2007

I didn't think that Unchained Melody was released until the 60s.  I remember
hearing that this is most covered song ever - I think much more than 5.

-MB

"Unchained Melody" is one of the most recorded songs of the 20th century, by
some counts having spawned over 500 versions. The lyrics were written by Hy
Zaret and the melody composed by Alex North.
In 1955, North used the music as a theme for the now obscure prison film
Unchained. That same year, the song finally saw commercial release. The song
was wildly popular: one week saw no fewer than four different cover versions
in the top 30 on the British charts. The four artists covering the song are
listed in the Guinness Book of British Hit Singles as: Jimmy Young, Les
Baxter, Al Hibbler and Liberace, in May and June 1955.