The Who Goes To Washington...

MSTARC9 at aol.com MSTARC9 at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 00:34:06 CDT 2007

Kevin,just getting around to posting after reading a million  of them on
several boards.It was great seeing you guys at Fado's as well.All  cool bar,great
atmosphere.

 Awesome review!! It was a great show!

Here is a review I sent into Carrie at LLR.Org.

Marc

Saw The Who in the heart of D.C. for the first time. Also this  was the first
time me and my brother saw snow since we moved from New York 30  years ago.
We saw snowflakes falling on the way in and snow on the ground  everywhere.
"Snowflakes falling"! The song was fitting tonight.

But first there was the explosive versions of ICE and AAA,  which Pete just
crunched and windmilled on with venom and energy that got the  Verizon center
crowd going early on.

Back to Fragments. I always love this song live and this is  the one I
dedicated to the rest of the night - which was followed by a ferocious  WAY, with
Roger sounding more powerful than usual on the vocals. Pete windmilled  and
jumped alot - so by this time I was pumped up and doing my leaps from my  seat!
I am glad they did "Real Good Looking Boy". Sometimes I feel  like that could
do an older classic instead of this one, but every time I hear  it live, I
love it! Especially since Rabbit is back on the keyboards, he really  is heard
up front on this one.

I always love the miniopera, and Roger continued with his  excellence on
vocals on this night, as he would in Borgata and Nassau.

I  love during MG how Pete sings (during CIYW refrain) "You can pay me, you
can pay me in advance, and then you can cry if you want". F*cking hilarious.
Then "fuck 'em"!!! And a Pete gone wild on guitar! Pete comes all the way
behind  Roger and faced Zak while doing a frenzied guitar solo as Zak kept up with
his  fast and relentless drumming, all the while he's making eye contact with
 Pete.This went on for about a minute! Pete then comes to the edge of the
stage  and does that thing where he mouths to the crowd and then points at
himself, and  he is off to the frenzied guitar soloing again!! Incredible!

WGFA as great as ever, with Roger's scream spot on and Pete's  extended
solos, windmills and leaps fantastic!

The really great moment at the show for me was seeing  "Naked Eye" for the
first time in many years. I thought Pete's guitar lines  were similar to the
record at times, which sent chills up my spine. The  highlight of the night!

On "Amazing Journey", Pete did the longest birdman pose ever -  I timed it at
10 seconds. He starts it off with crashing a windmill down on the  strings
and then the pose, then another ferocious windmill and then another  birdman
pose - this one was real brief -and then he goes wild on some great  soloing.
Into "Sparks" with more great guitar work and interacting with Zak's  amazing
drumming and Pino's excellent bass work.

It was great to see a sellout or almost sellout crowd in  D.C., since that's
all we talked about prior to the show was how it was a  mystery how the last
few "area" shows hadn't sold well.

As mentioned it  was my brother and I's first trip to this area, and the
historic sites all  around us were fantastic. The Whitehouse, the Monument,
Vietnam and other war  memorials. Secret service and government police. Museums,
historic hotels, etc,  etc.

A great night in D.C.!

Marc

In a message dated 3/9/2007 5:38:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kevinandt at gmavt.net writes:

>Joe  Lewinski
>Kevin & Stu (Jon if you are there too!),
>
>If  you guys are checking the archives, you'll see this
>before you head to  the Nissan Center.   Have fun!

Fun was had!!!!  No  Nissan Center.  Verizon Center in downtown DC "proppa!"

Sitting  here in Baltimore across the street from Pimlico, recuperating
while the  kids play with their cousins, and enjoying a rare "got nothing I
have to  do, and no where I have to be"  afternoon.

>WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You know it!
Pete quote of  the night:
"I'm not young, and I don't fucking want to be!
I'm right  where I belong......in the.....grand scheme of things."

Crowd goes  nuts.
This was just one of many chatting moments by chatty-Pete, and we all  ate
up every word.

Gathered at Stu's house at around 2pm, and then  Tania and I headed to the
sub-way in Wheaton and downtown.  At  FadoIrishPub by 6:30 to meet old-hood
Who-mentor and ski-buddy Mike and his  wife for some grub and libations.
Stu and his S.O. arrived about 1/2 hour  later (had to drop off kid at
brother's).
Had me some old-style Irish  Stew (not Stu) cooked in Guinness beer.
It was........<wait for  it>........"Brilliant!"
On our way into the pub I immediately spot Mike  and Mark Starke near the
front door.  Hugs, high fives, introductions  are exchanged with a host of
others that I've seen, met, chatted with over  the years.
I head back to our table.  The place is packed.   Before heading back, I
ask Mike Starke if he sees a tall black gentleman  enter, likely wearing a
bandana (he was), shout out "Stu."
If it's him,  send him to the classy table outside the Loo.  ;-)
It worked  flawlessly.
Eat grub, down our share of suds, and then off for a walk  around the block
to take in the night air.
Into the venue by 8:15, and  down to the floor.  I loved the expression on
my wife's face as we got  closer....and closer....and closer still.
Eyes go all wide, particularly  seeing how many people were *behind* us.
Stu and Lori had their own seats,  as did Mike and his wife.
Just T and Me in the 10 row, right in front of  Pete.
A bit bummed.........not really......but, there was an isle between  row 6
and 7....about the equivalent of 3 rows wide.
What the????
Why  put an isle there?
STUPID!
Rows were also not as tight as in  Boston.
Regardless, even though I felt just outside of Roger and Pete's  main
focus, I got their attention.
Held up my SLIPKID plate relatively  early in hopes of convincing our boys
that this wasn't just a professional  viewing by coat and tie types.
Roger immediately saw me and I swear he  beamed again.  Pete saw me soon
after that, but I wasn't so  sure.  While he was introducing (chatting)
WAY, he was talking about  how he, they, we, are all Who, but that he wants
to know Who we are.   Right when he was saying that, I held up
SLIPKID.....he saw and gave this  grin and expression like "there you have
it, there's one ticket down, I  just need to get to know the rest of youz."
I didn't raise the plate  again.  Just let them know you're there, and hope
it spurns their  motivation.

Mike Starke had a great sign that read "God Speaks of Peter  Townshend."
Pete made some comments about it later in the show.  I'll  let Mike fill in
those details.  Mike, Stu could see the sign even  from his seats.  Well
done!  Oh, and no sign of Jon in Mi.   :-(

Speaking of signs, I also had a smaller sign with me.
Two  words:
Naked Eye.
I raised that for the first time right after Pete  introduced Baba
(somewhat sarcastically) with "here's the main attraction  for you."
Not *my* main attraction!
I raised it again, after the  mini-opera, and Pete made note.
I raised it for the last time right after  WGFA while they were waving to
us, and Roger stopped and stared at it until  he made it out.  Tania turned
and said "Roger saw, he'll play it", I  replied "yeah, but I want to be
sure Pete saw it good."
Ok, I lied, I  raised it again right as they came back out for the encore.
I didn't see an  acoustic guitar.  :-(    ( ! )
I raised the sign high over  my head, and Roger saw it again, and like a
reminder, he stopped in his  tracks, spun around looking for the tech with
his guitar.  One moment,  nothing in his hands, the next moment that sweet
black "gitter" was around  his neck, and Naked Eye was in the bag.
I heard the guy behind me ask his  wife what that song was that was
starting, and I simply turned and let them  read my sign.  They looked at
me puzzled, with a billion thoughts  racing in their heads.  Ha!  Don't
hurt yer self trying to figure  that out.
I loved every moment of the show, including RGLB, but that one  song
(NE)just made my night.  Then, to jump into AJ and Sparks, and  Listening
to You, was just icing on the cake.

Some  observations:

The Who loved being in DC, to my surprise!  And, DC  was pumped!
Even before starting ICE, Pete made it a point to thank the  crowd for
filling the joint, "particularly you punters way up there  <pointing to the
rafters>!"
Crowd responded very much like  Boston.
But, particularly during BWE and other new stuff, many rows, even  on the
floor right behind us, were sitting.  ( ! )
Spend $200 for  floor seats and sit????  YOU'RE LAME!

I thought of that one girl's  blog entry on corporate types from the 60's,
when I followed a balloon  making its journey near my row.  This balloon
was tiny compared to the  4 or 5 smiley-face beach balls that were going
around.  The balloon  finally fell to the floor (from lack of interest)
right in front of a man  about my age wearing a full suit, with tie cinched
all the way up and top  button buttoned.  What the???
He saw the balloon land.  He looked  at it for a good long moment,
struggling to break out of his well oiled  professional shell.  Finally, he
mustered enough past spirit to bend  down, pick up the balloon and feebly
send it to the row behind him.  I  felt sad for him.  When Pete spoke
before EF he spoke of seeing too  many suits and that it's all a front.
Funny enough, this man took  pride.  He grooved a bit to EF, but then right
afterwards, sat on his  seat, song after song,taking care of e-mails with
his Blackberry.   COME ON!  Take off your tie!  Me, being me, I started to
kind of  do a <cough> "take off your tie" shout.  After a couple of  times,
my wife gave me the elbow and laughing told me to let him be.   Ok, honey.
Man, I'll tell you......HOPE I DIE BEFORE I GET OLD.

Zak  was playing with gusto for much of the show.  I thought he really  went
off during the Tommy medley, and the mini-opera just drives with so  much
more intensity with Zak.  At one point Zak was beating his drums  so loud
and violently that it actually made Pete kind of pause and turn  around to
see what the hell was going on!

Like Jim M. at Boston II,  Pino had my head turning his direction numerous
times, particularly during  the Tommy stuff.  But, he butchered the 3rd and
4th solos on MG. I  turned to Tania afterwards and shouted "not even
close."  It was also  the first thing stu said when we met them out front
after the show.   Stu quote...."You've been playing with The Who for over 5
years now, learn  the solo and stick with it.  I could play it better than
him!"   Otherwise, Stu also though Pino did a fine job.

Pete went off on the  Cry if You Want lyrics, at one point taunting the
crowd with angry venom  filled words like "you can cry if you want while
you pay to see us!   Go ahead, cry if you want!  It's ok!  Give me your
money and  cry!"  At that point I'm thinking (and flipping him the bird)
hold on  Pete, you're getting close to that line!  Roger was looking at  him
like "what the f are you saying?" Pete's expression kind of thought  the
same thing, and he then sang "50 pounds."  ( ! )  Then he  sang "Magic
bus."  (!!!)
Then, he kind of lost himself, turned  around to the comfort of his band,
re-oriented himself with his  surroundings and fell back into the script.
A very cool, bite the hand that  feeds you, moment.  Pure spontaneous Pete.

Simon is the unsung  hero.  Behind the scene filling in the vocals and
complementing Pete  on guitar.  I found myself focusing on him many times.
He has such a  good high vocal range, and obviously can play.  I wish he
had opened  the show.  My hopes for the Tragically Hip were dashed, and we
didn't  bother showing up for the band that *did* open up.

Roger...
Roger  the work horse.
I thought he was spot on.
Tania thought he was spot  on.
Stu and Lori thought he was spot on.
Mike and Berry thought he was  spot on.
He was......fucking spot on.
What a great voice, with power,  passion, and also going off with the mic.
Near the end Roger gave us this  <paraphrased, but pretty accurate> insight
into his life this last  year of touring..."I hate winter.  Central heating
and singers don't  mix.   I'm tired of sleeping with
the window  open.....in 20 below weather.....wearing a fur coat, and still
freezing my  bullocks off!  I'm ready for Spring!"
Pete broke in and stated "he may  not feel very good, but he sure does
sound good, doesn't  he?"
<crowd....went.......Nu-u-UTS!!>
An absolutely ROARING and  long ovation for the mightiest voice in rock.
Roger hit his WGFA scream the  best I've *ever* heard him.  His voice is
always strong, but this  scream came as close to mimicking the actual WN
version that I've ever  heard.
After "the scream" the crowd cheered so loud, specifically designed  to
show Roger their appreciation for nailing that...just for them.
Roger  knew he nailed it.

The show went by like a flash.  Like the one  review, it was "tight, tight,
tight."  It really was.  Pete was  in excellent spirits, and Roger as well.
They started at around 8:30 and to  my surprise it was 10:50 when they
walked off stage.  I don't know  why, but it felt like it was only an hour
or so.  Time flies when  you're having fun.

It's official....Stu welled-up to Tea and  Theatre!
I was very proud of DC.  They "got it" like NY "got  it."
You could have heard a pin drop between verses.
A moving and  powerful song.
To watch them walk off the stage after that is  bittersweet.
Knowing Pete is making statements of "I'll begin writing in  the Fall" and
"I want to do an album that sounds more like we do live"  helps ease the
pain.

Well, that's all the rambling I've got in me at  this point.
Another show.  Another great time with friends.   Another shot voice (mine,
not Roger's).  As I told a number of Who  friends that night......"see you
out on the Endless Wire."

Kevin in  VT

TheWho mailing  list
TheWho at igtc.com