Music Industry responds to Pete Keynote

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 17 08:41:15 CDT 2007

Boston Globe
http://tinyurl.com/yqmdvr

Music insiders try to stay upbeat at South by Southwest
By Joan Anderman and Sarah Rodman, Globe Staff | March 16, 2007

AUSTIN, Texas -- As thousands of bands flooded into the capital this week with their guitars and dreams in tow, keynote speaker Pete Townshend kicked off the 21st annual South by Southwest Music and Media Conference with a remark that neatly summed up the general mood in the industry.

"Rome," Townshend declared, quoting an unnamed record company CEO, "is burning."

Rome, in this case, is the record business, which continues in a freefall that hit a new low in January -- the worst month on record, with a sales drop of 40 percent compared to a decade ago. The explosion of file-sharing and downloading, competition from video games and other niche products, and the trend-driven nature of big-budget projects have combined to put the recording industry into a 10-year tailspin. Major labels have slashed employee and artist rosters. Perhaps most critically, the big record companies have largely failed to embrace the digital revolution, putting severe restrictions on their artists' catalogs. In the process they alienated customers and drove away business.

Although online sales doubled in 2006, it wasn't enough to staunch the bleeding, with sales overall declining 3 percent.
"Pundits have been saying Rome is burning for several years now, and the record company presidents have insisted otherwise," said Eric Garland , CEO of Big Champagne, which tracks digital file sharing. "You know there's been a sea change when you have those people on and off the record saying 'Yeah, this is a bad business.' It's become clear that despite gains in digital music it won't be enough to offset the damage."

According to Epic Records executive VP Andy Gershon , formerly president of V2 Records (which let go its entire staff and artist roster, including the White Stripes and Moby, in January), "the state of the business is similar to Baghdad, only no one's been killed."

Not literally, perhaps, but there is no longer any doubt that the old business model is dying. Still, all is not doom and gloom. Independent labels, while also struggling with issues of online file-sharing and depressed sales, are finding it easier to adapt to the rapidly shifting landscape. Josh Rosenfeld -- president of Seattle indie Barsuk Records, home to Nada Surf and Mates of State -- said that in the last year Barsuk has begun instituting changes that are critical to surviving in the digital age, such as streaming its releases in their entirety on the label website.

"The biggest challenge is how do we move into the future in a way that keeps the things we sell something of value without alienating our audience. The Internet has changed everything," Rosenfeld said , "and our ability to adjust is being stymied by the speed of the change. But I tend to believe that there's a way to get through catastrophic events without a final catastrophe."

Terry McBride , CEO of the Nettwerk Music Group, doesn't smell the smoke either. "Maybe we're building a new city," he said in an interview before speaking at the conference.
Article Tools
Printer friendly
Single page
E-mail to a friend