Teenager on "My Generation"

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Mon Mar 5 08:17:33 CST 2007

>Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 21:35:22 -0500 (EST)
>From: JOELTLE515 at aol.com
>
>In a message dated 3/4/2007 8:27:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com writes:
>
>>  While many demonstrated passion at the concert I doubt they have for much
>>  else in this world, it struck me as sad. This tour de force of rebellion
>>  against the greater powers, lit brightly in the sixties and seventies, has
>>  retreated into empty words, sung by those who
>>retreaed into their suits, proving the
>  > flower children to be more of a 'phase' than a revolutionary generation.
>
>man. my sentiments exactly.

Then you might be interested in the comment I
couldn't resist posting to her blog:

It's surprising that you would have such a
positive reaction to The Who's performance, yet
be so disdainful and dismissive of their
audienceŠgiven that The Who are older than most
of that same audience. Yes, many have gray and/or
thinning hair, and arthritis, and misunderstand
their children, just as their parents before them
did. If you're fortunate, you too might be old
enough to have gray hair some day, and even
children of your own to misunderstand. At that
time, if you're even more fortunate, you too
might still enjoy the songs and people who fill
your life with excitement now.

Yes, many of The Who's generation did get jobs
once they found that they needed a way to support
themselves and raise families without burdening
others. If you condemn, not jobs as such, but
only jobs which involve working for a corporation
and a day-to-day routine, I wish you luck in
never having such a job. Believe me, the
generation in question has had to wrestle with
the ironies and outright mistakes involved in
growing up, and greater commentators than you or
I will judge how revolutionary they truly were.

As a teenager, you might not yet have had time to
come across Pete's interview in which (at age 42)
he explains that the line, "Hope I die before I
get old", refers to a particularly toxic attitude
he encountered as a teenager (an attitude that
some might refer to as "smirking cynicism")
rather than to a number or a calendar. In that
same interview, he says, "'Do you realize why it
is I'm so driven to operate within the
Establishment? It's vengeance.'" It's a sentiment
that the old bald guy next to you at that concert
would recognize.

--
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN."