Pete interview in Indianapolis Star

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 06:59:51 CST 2007

http://tinyurl.com/3ctrs5

Townshend enjoys revived band while it lasts
By David Lindquist

Thirty-six years later, Pete Townshend continues to mine material from the Who album that never was.

Following the smash success of 1969 rock opera "Tommy," guitarist-songwriter Townshend sketched out plans for "Lifehouse" -- a collection of songs that told a story of virtual reality in a post-rock-'n'-roll world.

Townshend, vocalist Roger Daltrey, bass player John Entwistle and drummer Keith Moon eventually scrapped the project, but legendary compositions "Baba O'Riley," "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Behind Blue Eyes" were extracted for inclusion on the 1971 album "Who's Next."

Splinters of the "Lifehouse" concept resurfaced on Townshend's 1993 solo album, "Psychoderelict," and his 2005 novella "The Boy Who Heard Music." In April, Townshend plans to launch his "Lifehouse Method" Web site, where anyone can generate a personalized piece of music based on answers supplied to questions.

Meanwhile, "Lifehouse" is connected to 2006 album "Endless Wire," the first studio recording credited to the Who since 1982's "It's Hard." Within the songs of "Wire," members of young rock band the Glass Household follow the lead of "Psychoderelict" protagonist Ray High.

Townshend and Daltrey, the lone surviving members from the Who's original lineup, will perform songs from "Endless Wire" as well as various oldies Tuesday at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Townshend, 61, who was cleared of charges related to a 2003 arrest on suspicion of possessing child pornography, will give a keynote address later this month at the esteemed South by Southwest music conference. And he reports that the Who will return to inactive status after a string of European dates this summer.

In a recent e-mail interview, Townshend addressed his personal future, the future of humanity and the future of rock 'n' roll:

Question: "Won't Get Fooled Again" was played when the Indianapolis Colts ran onto the field for the Super Bowl. The Colts are now the NFL champions, so thanks for the good luck supplied by that song. But kidding aside, I know you're a believer in the power of music. Are you ever surprised by the effect a song can have?

Answer: No, I am not surprised. It is the audience that grants any artist a stage, and the same audience that takes a song and makes it their own. The mechanism behind this process is ancient, but still mysterious and hard to explain. It isn't always about quality. Sometimes a poor song or a poor artist can capture the public's imagination, or bring them together in some way. Sometimes it's to do with timing. Whatever is going on, it has very little to do with the artist or composer.

Q: "Mike Post Theme" on "Endless Wire" addresses the value of songs in day-to-day life. Do you have a favorite among Post's catalog? "Rockford Files" or "The A-Team," perhaps?