Great American Bands

Lowgens02 at aol.com Lowgens02 at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 13:34:27 CDT 2007

Hi  Toby,

Is that an American accent or a British accent?If you prefer a Brit accent
then you probably
prefer British New Wave of the early 80's.If you prefer an American accent
then you can
listen to classic rock of  both American bands and British bands according to
Pete :) ~~Mike.

Pete wrote on his blog:

"Singing in an American accent? This is SUCH an interesting question. You may
have noticed that when Punk happened in the UK in the mid '70s, the singers
began singing in English accents. Prior to that time the only singers that
occasionally allowed an English inflection were Ray Davies and Mick Jagger
(especially on Aftermath).

There is a reason we sang, and still sing, using American accents. We perform
rock 'n' roll. This form of Pop Music came from the USA. The entire basis of
this music was gathered from simple R&B and Folk Music with a little
cleverness thrown in sometimes. The rules were clear -

1. Simple music.
2. Must be able to dance to it (or at least jump up and down to it).
3. It must make you forget your worries, even if only for a short time.
4. Use as few chords as possible.
5. Sing with an American accent.

Have you noticed that Opera singers all sing with the same accent? I think
I'd call it a 'posh' accent, a kind of upper-crust accent. This is almost a
rule. For an English rock star to sing with an American accent is to be respectful
to the genre and the birthplace of rock 'n' roll. New artists might use
different accents. But Roger and I are too old, and connected with the first
discovery of this music, we respect its roots too much, to change.

In a message dated 6/26/2007 2:16:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
telwin at berklee.net writes:

> [...]
like them, the Smithereens as great.  What is their impact, what is their
legacy?  With this in mind, I hold 3 above most...in no order

Creedance Clearwater Revival
The Doors
Ramones

I overwhelmingly prefer rock with an English accent.

That is it,

Toby