Top 3 American Bands

Martin Bailey mbailey at netsolcq.com
Thu Jun 21 03:38:17 CDT 2007

There's been a lot of good US bands mentioned.  But there's only been a few that I would consider "Great" - Simon & Garfunkle, Green Day, Ramones, Blondie, etc.

Now to turn this on its head, and prove that I'm not just being Anti-US.  Last night I started thinking about Great US singers / individual performers.  The list is endless, and very easy to think of loads:

Elvis, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Frank Sinatra, Neil Young (adopted), Janis Joplin, Little Richard, Madonna, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Marvin Gay, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Meatloaf - very easy to come up with a very long list.

Then I tried to think of "Great UK Solo Singers", and I came up with:

David Bowie, Tom Jones (Bruce reminded me), Eric Clapton, and er - not much more.

Why is that?  How come UK makes good bands, but US makes goods solo artists?  Do Americans do not work well as a team?  Do Americans with talent have such big egos that they don't want to share their success?

-MB

Ps: hehe: my spell checker didn't like "Garfunkle", and suggested "Carbuncle" instead.

All currently agreed CQ Systems Ltd Terms & Conditions and product and service Warranties are implicitly assumed with this Email.

NetSolCQ (CQ Systems Ltd trading as NetSolCQ). Registered Office Address: Planet House, North Heath Lane, Horsham RH12 5QE West Sussex England. Registered in England No 1998080. VAT:826611533