Belfast Telegraph on Dublin

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 06:55:49 CDT 2007

http://tinyurl.com/yqr5on

All generations turn out for return of the veteran rockers
Marlay Park, Dublin
Tuesday, July 03, 2007
By Damien Murray

On one of their earliest hits, The Who's rebellious frontman, Roger Daltrey, shockingly declared: "I hope I die before I get old."

Thankfully, this attention-seeking lyric did not become a reality and, 42 years later, he and fellow band-member, Pete Townshend were back to rock the crowds at a series of Irish concerts at the weekend.

With a cross-generational crowd enjoying the two-hour set - from the unmistakable riffs of the opener, I Can't Explain, to the extended Tommy-based finale - it was not so much a case of My Generation as All Our Generations for the two rock veterans, who looked surprisingly fit and youthful.

The Who has always been one of rock's best live acts and this performance didn't disappoint in excitement, quality or energy levels, with Daltrey's microphone swinging every bit as wild as Townshend's infamous windmill guitar moves scissor kicks.

Although they played a few new songs from the current album, Endless Wire, the bulk of the set comprised hits such as The Seeker, Who Are You?, Relay, You Better You Bet, The Kids Are Alright and Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, while things did slow down for See Me Feel Me and Behind Blue Eyes.

The showstoppers included Substitute, Won't Get Fooled Again, extended versions of My Generation and Pinball Wizard, with Baba O'Riley (boasting a great Daltrey harmonica solo) earning cheers from the O'Riley clan in the crowd.

Vintage and varied projections mixed with live footage throughout, providing close-ups of the other musicians in the band, including keyboardist/pianist, John Bundrick, rhythm guitarist, Simon Townshend (Pete's brother), drummer Zak Starkey (Ringo Starr's son), and bassist, Pino Palladino, who played the late John Entwistle's bass riffs to perfection (even physically holding the instrument like Entwistle).

All deserve credit for recreating that classic Who sound... undoubtedly one of rock's great performances!

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com