Mom sees The Who

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 06:25:12 CDT 2007

>From The Newton Tab in Newton, MA:
http://www.townonline.com/newton/opinion/x240120732

Never too old to rock and roll
By Guest Commentary / Robin Rouse
GateHouse News Service
Tue Jul 03, 2007, 12:00 AM EDT

When my son called me via cell phone from California to tell me he had gotten us concert tickets, we had a little Abbott and Costello moment.

"Mom, I got you and Dad tickets to see the Who."
"Tickets to what?"
"Not The What. The Who, the WHO, I got you and Dad tickets to see the WHO!!"
"OH, the WHO!! WOW!"

I didn’t even realize that the Who were still doing concerts. let alone coming to Boston. But then, I don’t really keep up on the concert scene these days except for the occasional e-mail broadcast from co-workers selling tickets they can’t use. I usually have one of two reactions: "Who’s that?" or "Wow, they’re still alive?"

I’m not exactly what you would call a raving "Who Fan," save a very brief period in 1975 when I had a huge crush on Roger Daltrey after the release of "Tommy." But these days I can’t say I’m a raging fan of anyone, except maybe an NPR personality or two. But the Who is an icon of our generation, and so I was very excited to go despite the fact that I had not been to a rock concert in over 20 years.

It is amazing to me how different things are going to a rock concert at age 48 versus 18. When I was 18, I agonized over what to wear in hopes of dressing sexy enough to gain attention from the band. At 48, I agonized over what shoes to wear in hopes of being able to walk from the parking garage to the venue without my feet hurting. When I was younger, they could not play the music loud enough for me. Last night, fearing the loud music, I grabbed a pair of earplugs on my way out of the house. As a teenager, I wanted the concert to go on forever and was crushed if there were fewer than three encores. As a middle-age working mother, I was relived when the house lights went up after the first encore ended.

Don’t get me wrong; the concert was great. My son, who is working on the band’s DVD, arranged for us to have front-row seats. I’ve never had such an amazing concert experience. For almost the entire concert, I had eye contact with Pete Townsend, and at 61 he’s certainly still got it.

After the concert, as we were walking to the car, basking in the glow of our son’s fabulous gift to us, I said to my husband, “I have a splitting headache, but I don’t care,” To which my husband replied, “WHAT? I CAN’T HEAR A WORD YOU’RE SAYING.”

Next time, I’ll grab a pair of earplugs for him, too.

Robin Rouse is a resident of West Newton.

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com