The Independent (Dublin) on Dublin

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 06:00:39 CDT 2007

http://tinyurl.com/34cfw8

Survivors still have magic that made them great

By JOHN MEAGHER
Monday July 02 2007

PETE Townshend and Roger Daltrey could have long ago retired to stately piles and rested on their laurels. But the duo behind one of the greatest live bands in history seem to have little interest in retreating from the spotlight.

But don't think The Who are just a historical touring attraction, happy to trot out the tunes ad nauseum. This show had oodles of pulse-quickening moments.

The 42-year-old 'My Generation' sounded wonderful and showcased why Townshend is considered one of rock's all-time great guitarists. It also gave Daltrey - a sprightly 63-year-old - an opportunity to deliver that immortal line: "I hope I die before I get old."

Two songs from this band's finest album, 1971's 'Who's Next', will live long in the memory. The first was a stunning rendition of 'Baba O'Riley', with its glorious mix of guitars and synthesizers. And 'Won't Get Fooled Again' was reclaimed from 'CSI: Miami' theme tune hell.

Material from last year's 'Endless Wire' album just about held its own against the venerable classics - no mean feat really considering the quality of what this band where doing a few years either side of 1970.

But it was the familiar numbers that provided obvious thrills. 'Substitute' was potent and furious while 'Who Are You?' proved Daltrey can still cut it in the vocal department.

The Who live experience in 2007 may not be quite as incendiary as before - age has withered Townshend's guitar god poses, for instance - but there's still something magical about these survivors.

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com