Pete Townshend (who he?) - Brilliant

Kevin and Tania O'Neal kevinandt at gmavt.net
Wed Feb 28 17:18:21 PST 2007

>Jim M
>Pete Townshend (who he?) - Prologue / setlist
>
>My question was legit, though.  Does anyone recall hearing
>Pete discuss *how* he remembered this shit?

In my mind it's a mix of things.
I'm certain he has his own memories of trauma, that he's never forgotten.
Have some "changed" a bit?  Meaning, do some of the details get a bit
"burred?"
I'm certain of it.  That, however, doesn't mean core memories are not
reflective of the reality then.
And, I'd also argue, that while the visual and audio memories may blur, the
deep feelings of hurt remain vivid.

He also did some extensive sitting with his mum about 8 years ago and had
some serious Q&A.
To Pete's mom's credit, she sat with her boy and gave him all of her
recollections.  Add this to his memories, and I'm sure the picture became
more clear.  Pete at one point wrote about how proud of his mom he was for
helping him sort through painful memories and timelines.

Around this same time he was seeking "the help of a therapist" to try and
clear the picture even more and address the abuse that tended to come out in
his writing and music.....almost as if uncontrollably.

If memory serves (HA!), a few years back when all this came to light, Cousin
Schradelheimershrinkernonbeliever expressed his fear that Pete was falling
victim to a therapist that was extracting phony memories.  I believe this
was around the time that there was much publicity around therapy opening up
memories.........or.....is it *creating* memories?
I don't believe Scott felt he had any evidence, but was just stating a
concern.

Corrections, and edits welcome....

Kevin in VT

P.S.  Jon,....nice post.