Pete Townshend (who he?) - Prologue / setlist

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Feb 27 19:10:33 PST 2007

> y know, I don't think pete would lie openly about an incident
> such as that.  even if, as schrade said it, some "quack therapist"
> got it out of him, how could pete be so specific?

I didn't say he *lied.*  Check this out:

==========
[C]onsiderable research indicates that our memories can change.
We can even create new memories for events that never actually
happened!

In effect, our memory is not a literal snapshot of events which
we later retrieve from our album of past experiences.  Instead,
memory is constructive.

Current beliefs, expectations, environment, & even suggestive
questioning can influence our memory of past events.

It's more accurate to think of memory as a reconstruction of the
past -- and with each successive reconstruction, our memories
can get further & further from the truth.

Memories thus change over time, even when we're confident
that they haven't, & those memories can have a significant influ-
ence on the beliefs we form & the decisions we make.

- excerpt from "Don't Believe Everything You Think" by
  Thomas Kida  (Prometheus books)