Pete interview in the Long Beach Press-Telegram

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Tue Feb 27 14:59:22 PST 2007

> Q: "What does the guy who wrote "hope I die before I get old" have to say  to
> the guy responding to this e-mail?"
>
> A: (Pete) "The song was about a  state of mind. I have no idea how old you
> are, but at my age the words still  ring. When I look in the mirror and I accept
> I am getting older, getting old I  suppose, all I care about is that I remain
> true to my beliefs and my artistic  manifesto. To be truthful, I would rather
> die than live the way so many people I  see around me are happy with. I don't
> sneer at people who want to settle down  and rest. I get angry with those who
> stop fighting for a better world and stop  fighting for the truth. The boomer
> generation is almost out of steam now. Our  power is slipping away. But even
> while we were powerful, one thing we never  managed to do was to get our
> parents and grandparents to tell us how they really  felt about two world wars, the
> appearance of the bomb, and the relentless  battering we gave our planet. We
> never managed to touch their hearts, we just  frightened them. I think they
> felt so lucky to be alive, that they just didn't  want to think about the
> horrors they'd seen. Now I feel as if we are all just  starting to wake up at last.
> We are not safe from our enemies. Our planet is not  secure. We are
> responsible. We are not powerless."
>
> Good Answer.

And, refreshingly, a very humanistic answer.  No reliance on the Marty Robbins-
producing deity here.  Just a simple statement that we humans are responsible
for taking care of each other *and* the planet we live on.

Now *here's* the Pete response (from the Fresno Bee interview) that caught my
attention.  He really gives it to those complaining "Whostorians" (me included) who
long for the old days.

> Q: What do you say to fans who are sketchy about seeing the show since it's
> only half of the original band?
>
> A: Wait a little longer; Roger and I will both die, then you'll be able to save even
> more money relying on your ancient memories. In Russian, according to Tarkovsky,
> nostalgia can be translated to mean "sickness," a kind of diseased longing for the
> old country, the old values, the old smells.

D'oh!  Harsh!  But the truth hurts.  Pete slammed me on that one.

- SCHRADE in Akron