setlisteous spontaneous

Keithjmoon70 at aol.com Keithjmoon70 at aol.com
Tue Feb 27 13:46:02 PST 2007

>I'm constantly looking at photos on LLR.com and wondering why I  don't
>remember a particularly cool vide image in the background.   Too focused
>on the eyes and expressions of each of the players.

I think the video behind them is so sharp, colorful and brilliant that it
adds very much to the experience of the show.  Watching the DVD's, I get
something more with each view, let alone the times I've been there.  There  is so
much information coming at us all at once.  The band, the music, the  video and
the crowd reaction.  The Who is so intricate and deep. Don't you  think that
I'm bound to react now?

>>Why can't live =  spontaneous
>>once in awhile?

>I think that would  be rare for the size of show and length of tour.
People paying out the *ss  want a professional and smooth show with all
the glitz and glimmer.
You  want to be "wowed."
I fear a spontaneous show would disappoint many  particularly if there
are miscues, re-starts, inevitable bickering on stage  about where to
>next.

I agree, Kev.  The shows are mainly for the masses that haven't  seen the Who
and they have to cover the bases.  There is no possibility of  making
everyone happy.  And we will never be happy.  We live on the  edge of what we didn't
get.

>That said, good post, and I too wish there were at least *some*  changes
to the set.

I would like that.  But this is a giant machine now.  They  aren't at a club
and have to pay for many lives. There's  synthesizer/backing tracks, 6 band
members onstage, a video to stay in time  with, and besides, the songs kick ass
anyhow.  What I would like to see is  more jamming, but it won't work.  I
think Pete does a great job of letting  it rip within the restraints they have.

If I want spontaneity, I'll go and see the ultimate set-list changing band
because they're built that way on purpose.

Actually, Pete with a guitar is what makes me stand in line for 5  hours.

>If it doesn't happen, I can only become more convinced that there  some
>sort of issue with Rachel having been the one to write the music,  and
>shared copyright, or some sort of nonsense like that.

I remember Mike S. asking Rachel about why they weren't playing that  one
outside the bus at Joe's Pub II and she said something like "I know, I  helped
write that song!"  Remember, Mike?

It would be nice to see a lot of changes, but how many people actually go  to
see multiple shows?  A fraction.  I remember the days when just  seeing them
felt as if we were stealing something.

Jon in Mi.

http://www.aol.com.