setlisteous spontaneous

O'Neal, Kevin W. Kevin.ONeal at vtmednet.org
Tue Feb 27 11:24:51 PST 2007

>Steve in Canada
>setlisteous spontaneous
>
>And so if there is no video, and what if the lighting for a deviation
>has to be simple - I am there for the music, not the videos behind
>the band.

Great White Steve, that's how it was in 2000 and 2002.
Bare bones.
No vids.
Minimal lighting.
No fancy stage (well, 2002 started getting a bit fancier).
And, it was brilliant.

But, I have to say, when you're sitting in the rear, or nosebleeds, or
even just mid-line and back, having something to look at other than the
mice on the stage and the vid screens of the mice, is a nice thing.
It presents an entire visual of band and images behind them.
Honestly, from 15 rows and in, you don't even notice (well, rarely) the
screens.
I'm constantly looking at photos on LLR.com and wondering why I don't
remember a particularly cool vide image in the background.  Too focused
on the eyes and expressions of each of the players.

>Why can't live = spontaneous
>once in awhile?

I think that would be rare for the size of show and length of tour.
People paying out the *ss want a professional and smooth show with all
the glitz and glimmer.
You want to be "wowed."
I fear a spontaneous show would disappoint many particularly if there
are miscues, re-starts, inevitable bickering on stage about where to
next.

That said, good post, and I too wish there were at least *some* changes
to the set.
I think it would be a *BIG* mistake not to bring It's Not Enough to the
stage on this last leg in the US.
If it doesn't happen, I can only become more convinced that there some
sort of issue with Rachel having been the one to write the music, and
shared copyright, or some sort of nonsense like that.

>MC
>setlist
>
>They had 2 1/2 months to change out 4 or 5 songs and alter the
videography,

I agree.  It really is laziness.  The "altering vids can't be done"
excuse is a cop-out.
Hell, they seem to be able to drop and add a song every now and
then...from one night to the next with little problem, so I can't get
with this 2 1/2 months is not enough time to make some more significant
changes.  Just a small handful of songs!  Like 4 or so.

>The 2000 setlists were awesome,

Yeah, but they really didn't change that much.

>so is it that without John they have lost the ability to know more than
20 songs for a tour?

Honestly, I don't see much of a difference on this tour from the past 5
or so.
Except, that this one there was a bunch of talk of changing up the set
for a whole bunch of rarities.

>Can anyone here really say that they would prefer five full singles
from Endless Wire plus Wire and Glass to a song or two >from Quad

Depends.
Bottom line for me,.....not knowing what is coming next and anticipation
of meaty surprises adds a *whole* bunch to the over all experience.

Kevin in VT

Confidentiality Notice: