setlisteous spontaneous

Stephen Fairbairn seeker at elkvalley.net
Mon Feb 26 19:15:12 PST 2007

Steve here in Canada.

Is all this 'inability to change' up the setlist something else?

Safety zone?

Easyness?

Fear of being less than perfect, and then having the wrath of the
press and fans to deal with?

That one I suspect.

Why am I wading into an issue above my head you ask?

'Cause I am in a band. A band that plays live at least once every two
weeks. We play in bars, we play loud and electric. We play coffee
houses -  acoustic (but still loud :) ) , we play as an opening act
for other touring bands in theatre settings, we play festivals.

We use props - confetti guns, smoke, black lights, strobes, costumes,
aliens,....

videos and sound effects (and when the computer wonks out, we cope)

We play original music - and covers for the bar crowd.

Stay with me, I am getting to my point.

We're not as tight as The Who - we're only regional.

We make more mistakes than the Who - likely only we know when and how...

Point coming.....

We don't use a setlist - our signer - the heart of the band, picks
the songs 'up next' based on the crowd reaction. When they're
dancing, we play music to keep them dancing (gee this group likes our
rockin' Johnny Cash / Black Sabbath / death country / Clash /
original etc)- and we often go without a break. Usually we go without
a break actually.

When the song has a video, it's cued up. The lights go.

Ok, our (his) costume doesn't change.

We rock.

Second part to the point -

When we mess up, the press and the fans don't jump all over us (ok,
even on the best night, no one jumps all over us - we just get beer)
And we are not getting rich.

So, why not have so variety - is the audience that unforgiving?

Is the comfort zone that good?

And so if there is no video, and what if the lighting for a deviation
has to be simple - I am there for the music, not the videos behind
the band.

Why can't live = spontaneous

once in awhile?

Steve