setlist

sroundtable at aol.com sroundtable at aol.com
Mon Feb 26 19:55:05 PST 2007

"I heard Pete say that it is difficult to add different songs or change the set
list because of all the lights, video screens, etc. that they have incorporated
into the show, only slight deviations from that can be accomplished, certainly
not changing the set list each night.

  I imagine it is all computerized and choreographed very precise.  It is quite
an impressive show.  Do I expect to see something different next Thursday?
Naw...but I know I was blown away last November, so I think my expectations are
in check.

  I guess if we want to see spontanity, we can watch old Who videos from the
60's and 70's."

They actually have some spontaneity when they jam on songs like AAA, MG, Sparks, SMFM.  My problem is that they don't vary the list AT ALL.  They might remove a song one night, and replace AAA with Substitute another, but otherwise there is NO CHANGE.  They had 2 1/2 months to change out 4 or 5 songs and alter the videography, and they didn't.  NOTHING changed.  The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.  The 2000 setlists were awesome, so is it that without John they have lost the ability to know more than 20 songs for a tour?  Can anyone here really say that they would prefer five full singles from Endless Wire plus Wire and Glass to a song or two from Quad?  Could we have Long Live Rock replace Eminence Front, which has been in the setlist since 2002?  Could we have Sister Disco rotate with YBYB?  How bout morphing into Naked Eye during the MG jam some nights.  I just can't justify continuing to spend big bucks on tickets to see The Who, now matter how awesome, play the exact same songs show after show.  In fact, the Endless Wire songs don't feature any real jamming or energy, for that matter, as Pete and Rog just sort of stand there and play, leaving the windmills, jumps and mic swings for the hits.  Maybe I'll make to the UK.  In the festival setting they generally feel more free to play some different stuff.

Mc