Pete interview in the Long Beach Press-Telegram

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 07:24:59 CST 2007

http://origin.presstelegram.com/entertainment/ci_5300147

An interview with the Who's Pete Townshend
Band plays tonight at the Long Beach Arena
By Ryan Ritchie, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 02/25/2007 12:00:00 AM PST

Rock royalty doesn't come a-knockin' very often, which makes Monday's appearance of legendary '60s mod band the Who at the Long Beach Arena that much more special.

The group, featuring original singer Roger Daltrey and original guitarist Pete Townshend, along with keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick, bassist Pino Palladino, Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey on drums and Townshend's brother Simon on rhythm guitar, is touring in support of the band's first new album in nearly 25 years, "Endless Wire."

Unlike many classic artists whose new music fails to live up to their original heyday, "Endless Wire" has earned critical praise from publications ranging from Rolling Stone, Mojo and All Music Guide.

The Who have been hailed as one of the top musical acts in history, with many considering the original quartet of Daltrey, Townshend, bassist John Entwistle and drummer Keith Moon to be as important and influential as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. The band's catalog, much of which was written by Townshend, includes the well-known hits "I Can't Explain," "Pinball Wizard," "Boris the Spider," "My Generation," "Substitute," "Magic Bus," "Baba O'Riley," "Won't Get Fooled Again," "Quadrophenia" and "Who Are You."
Here, in this e-mail interview, Townshend discusses the Who's latest record, the late John Entwistle and some of his favorite authors.

Q: In the liner notes of "Endless Wire," you write "only delivering it to the Who's touring band when I was certain it was properly realised." Explain the difference in having studio musicians perform as opposed to the touring band. Is that why Starkey and Palladino's involvement was smaller than many would have assumed? How do you think the touring band performs the new material in live settings?