Tommy timeline

sroundtable at aol.com sroundtable at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 21:16:52 CST 2007

"The biggest "problem" I see with the timeline of the original is one
Bruce pointed out...if Tommy's father killed "The Lover" in 1921,
Tommy was born somewhere around 1915-1917.  If, as Bruce mentions,
pinball didn't become popular until the 1940s, Tommy would be
anywhere from 23 to 33 years old during his pinball wizard phase.
Kind of older than Pete's main focus, but again, you have to allow
some poetic license."

In both the movie and stage play, Tommy appears to be in his early twenties, so that would work, I think.  Only problem with that is up until 1945, England was amidst a pretty famous War.  Such War gets no mention in Tommy.  He probably had the timeline set for Tommy to be about 6 years old in 1921 and come out of his "haze of delirium" around age 18 (around 1935 or so).  Remember that he added Pinball Wizard after the original plot had been created, so he likely just neglected to revise the original timeline for the album, but had it corrected to 1951 to make more sense in the movie and later the stage play.

Mc