damn the torpedoes

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Sat Feb 10 11:21:53 CST 2007

> From: Toby Elwin <telwin at berklee.net>
> Date: February 8, 2007 7:16:32 PM CST
>
> It is really a dis-service and a bore to keep the set list.  No
> real reason to pay $100s for another "Behind Blue Eyes", "Baba",
> "Who Are You", "You Better You Bet", trodden on list of boring
> execution.

I'm certainly not going to say I wouldn't love to hear some surprises
on the setlist, but -- first -- I don't think the execution on the
songs that they do play is boring.  Also, the added dates are all for
cities (except London) they haven't played yet on this tour, so the
assumption -- and I'm not denying it -- is that new audiences are
seeing these shows, so a varied setlist doesn't matter.  It's only us
hardcore 1% who even know the sets are different.  They will probably
lose some of that 1% who might otherwise have seen multiple shows,
but that's life.

> Lights and video screens be damned.  Don't use the video screens if
> the synchs are out or new videos are expected. They did not use
> video screens when they were considered the greatest live rock and
> roll band in the world - Damn it!

Pete understands and deliberately uses visual excitement in their
shows.  Almost from the beginning, he studied photos of the shows to
help shape his poses and actions to maximize the audience response.
When they were at their peak, they were 30 years younger and could
provide their own visuals.  They can still provide some, but the
lights and videos are required now to add that I-don't-know-where-to-
look experience.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967