BBC on presser

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 08:39:08 CST 2007

http://tinyurl.com/3dg9yu

The Who to play Liberty Stadium

Veteran rock band The Who will play at Swansea's Liberty Stadium this summer as part of their European Tour.

Famous for 1960s hits such as My Generation and the rock opera Tommy, they are the first band to play at the £27m venue since it opened in 2005.

The date will be announced later this month but the band confirmed the gig at a news conference on Thursday.

The Who last played Swansea in 1976 at the Vetch - the last UK paid for concert before drummer Keith Moon died.

Bootleg copies of that concert are still widely available today.

Speaking on Thursday Who frontman Roger Daltrey said they would be playing a two hour set in the city with songs from throughout their career.

"Two hours is tough signing the way I sing - these songs are challenging."

Other dates in the summer will include the Glastonbury Festival.

Guitarist Pete Townshend said the band may be advancing years but he had not lost his enthusiasm.

"I'm thrilled just to be out here doing this tour with Rog," he added.

Stadium manager Andrew Davies said: "This is a major coup for us and Swansea.

"We are delighted to have such an iconic band play and it is fantastic that we have been chosen to be part of their European Tour.

"It was always part of the original business plan to host regular concerts in the summer months.

"The Who will set the bar for Liberty Stadium as a quality music venue, raising the profile of both the venue and the city to UK music fans."

Tickets are expected to go on sale in the next 10 days.

The last major rock concert to be staged in Swansea was in 1999 when the Stereophonics played at Morfa Stadium was demolished to make way for the Liberty.

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com