Live Webcast - The Who Announce European Tour!

Martin Bailey mobailey at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 8 07:37:20 CST 2007

Just watched this webcast - it started half an hour late.

Tour will start in Lisbon (in May, I think), and cover a huge number of
countries and shows.

It's confirmed that The Who WILL be headlining Sunday night at Glastonbury.

Then Pete and Roger came on.  Seemed thouroughly miserable and moaning about
the venue (Pete described the underground studio as a "tomb").

Roger said they wanted to play a few acoustic songs rather than the usual
Question and Answer nonsense.

They played:

    - Wont get fooled Again
    - Behind Blue Eyes (both Pete and Roger on acoustic guitar)
    - Mike Post Theme ("about Hill street Blues".  They had never even
rehearsed an acoustic version of this song before.  But it worked really
well - the highlight of the webcast.)
    -Tea and Theatre

They both seemed pleased with themselves after this performance.  Pete
guitar was fine, but Roger was the star of the show.  Roger, who presumably
hasn't sung for a few months, showed what a great voice he still has.  Every
line was sung spot-on.

Then some question and answers:

Tour will include "The Peel Festival" on the Isle of Man - bet they play
Happy Jack!  Pete went to school there.

They're playing Cork (in Ireland), because they know the postman there
(Irish Jack).  By some coinceidence, they've just discovered that the street
that Irish Jack lives in is the same street where Pete's grandfather was
born!

"Will you be playing different songs in Hull to what you've played in Lison
or Cork?"  Pete laughs: "Why would we do that?".  Later: "oh yeah, every
show will be different.  Rarirites, Swedish folk songs, etc."

But Roger offered some hope for fans wanting rarities on the setlist:
"hopefully we'll be able to come up with some other format in the future
whereby fans can hear the songs they want to hear."  Vague, but intriguing.

Also playing Prague, and more shows in the UK.  Hope to still play
Australia, but no plans yet.

-MB