Tarantino Film Contains Jab Against Who

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Thu Dec 6 23:56:49 CST 2007

> From: Scott Schrade <schrade at akrobiz.com>
> Date: December 4, 2007 8:02:54 PM CST
>
> I was amused but not surprised.  I think Alan has had some con-
> versations with Mr. Tarantino where the director expressed a dis-
> like for the band.  Wasn't that you, Alan?

The quote came out during the interviews QT did to publicize the
release of Pulp Fiction.  I was duly incensed.  A friend who was
already a QT fan (I didn't know much about him) found that QT (and
Richard Linklater) was going to be present at the Austin premiere of
Pulp Fiction to do a Q&A after, and my friend and I got about 8th-row
center seats for the show (which I loved, BTW).  Early in the Q&A he
called on me and I said something along the lines of "I like The Who
and I don't care who else likes them or not."  QT's comment/
clarification was that he was just reacting against a herd mentality
in which someone says they like <fill in the blank> just to fit in
with what's cool, and at the time he was in high school, that was The
Who.  At the time I thought it came off as valid, but with a bit of
backpedaling involved.   But the quote below from "Death Proof" seems
to indicate he still has a bit of a beef with our guys... :-\

And, the actress gets the name wrong and they left it in the film.
IIRC, she said, "Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mitch and Tich."

BTW, this is the quote from QT:

"I have a lot of little
theories, and one of them is that nobody really
likes sports. But men feel they should like
sports, so they act as if they do.  I also feel
that way about the Who. I don't think anybody
really likes that band. Everyone thinks they're
supposed to like the Who, so they just pretend.
They're afraid to say that the emperor has no
clothes."

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967