Tarantino Film Contains Jab Against Who

Martin Bailey mobailey at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 5 04:15:39 CST 2007

SCHRADE in Akron said:

> I watched the Quentin Tarantino film "Death Proof" the other day.

I haven't seen it yet, but I've got the soundtrack. I always get the
Tarantino soundtrack CDs, as I always find a few unheard gems on them.   But
there's not much of interest on this latest soundtrack, I'm afraid to say.

I haven't seen the film yet.  I think the DVD is out in the UK within the
next couple of weeks.  (Are you reading this, Santa?)

> A female character calls a radio DJ to request a song by the '60s
> band Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick, & Tich.

That'll be "Hold Tight" then.

Incidentally: I played this CD on my PC just this week, and Media Player had
an unfortunate misspelling of the artists name: "Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky,
Mick, & Bich".

> "Well Pete Townshend almost quit The Who to join the band,

Is that really true?

> if you ask me, he should've."

Aha, there's the jab.   But it's not TOO bad an insult.  Hardly the scathing
witty dialogue that Mr Tarantino used to be so famous for.

> I was amused but not surprised.  I think Alan has had some con-
> versations with Mr. Tarantino where the director expressed a dis-
> like for the band.

Some years ago, I posted on this list that I seemed to remember QT stating
that he was very anti-Who.  But then many listers counteracted by argument
by saying that QT had recently said he DOES dig the Who - citing "Bellboy"
being used in the film Four Rooms.  I think the jury's still out on this
one...

-MB