The New Romantics

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Sat Apr 14 14:35:36 CDT 2007

> New Romantics were bands like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Ultravox,
> ABC, etc.  It came after punk, but wasn't descended from it.

The lines are a little more blurred than that, IMO.  For example, Ultravox started
out with a sound closer to punk (the John Foxx era) & then merged into the New
Wave/New Romantic sound under the direction of Midge Ure.

> New Wave was a natural progression or "growing up" of punk.  Includes bands
> like The Cure, Joy Division / New Order,  Talking Heads etc.

And Gary Numan, too.  His first band, Tubeway Army, was way closer to the
punk end of the spectrum, IMO.  (Their first album is simply amazing.)

I see the New Romantics as almost a sub-set of the New Wave, directed more
by fashion (the poofy clothes & heavy - & I mean heavy - makeup).

Interestingly, The Who's "dandy" period in the '60s is somewhat of a precursor
to all that (with tighter-fitting trousers!).  And, of course, David Bowie's contri-
bution cannot be overlooked.  Hell, why not throw Johnny Kidd & the Pirates
in there, as well!   ;-)

- SCHRADE in Akron