Roger said it once last night but it bears repeating now..

Joe Lewinski lewinski at icanon.com
Wed Apr 11 21:56:05 CDT 2007

Not sure if this was posted, but here's  a post from Pete's blog that I
just read for the first time.   In it Pete acknowledges Roger's CBE
with no resentment.  Nice!

www.petetownshend-whohe.blogspot.com

Sunday, April 01, 2007
Royal Jetlag
A wonderful evening for the Teenage Cancer Trust last night at the
Royal Albert Hall. The final show of the third American leg was last
Monday in Fort Lauderdale in South Florida, and we landed back in
London early Wednesday morning. We stayed in Miami for a few days
during the famous 'Spring Break' and there was loud music every
night, a warm sea-breeze, fluttering curtains, great food, a little
sun and lots of shopping. I may live a straight life today, but I've
been bleary ever since; this kind of jetlag feels like a hangover.

At the moment of truth the adrenalin of walking onto the stage last
night kicked in and I careered off in a rock trance. I really have no
idea what the show was like. I was too zapped for a sound-check and
it all felt very loud. The band seemed pretty great to me, and Roger
sang well after his recent troubles.

We both desperately need a rest and we are about to get one.

Those who support the Who's now regular annual soire for TCT at the
RAH are our real friends I think. Even our crew work for expenses,
some of them for nothing. (For that they get my most fond expression
of love and respect: they are all "c*nts". The rock star dictionary
is a deeply warped one I suppose). Our first Who fund-rasier for TCT
was so long ago now I've forgotten when it was. Our 'family' Doctor
Adrian Whiteson started the fund-raising and now the object is the
acquisition of expensive scanners, and the training of operators,
because if cancer is diagnosed quickly in a teenager it can be
eradicated more effectively than in an older person. Sadly, if it is
not diagnosed quickly, it spreads faster.

Bill Curbishley, the Who's manager, suggested after the second or
third Who show for TCT that it should become an annual thing. I can
remember saying: 'I've done enough. I do a bunch of other stuff I'm
pretty passionate about. It's time for other musicians to do
something.' Roger Daltrey and Harvey Goldsmith - by now deeply
embroiled and committed - got together to do the first week long Gala
featuring artists other than the Who, and the event is now a
tradition and is usually a smash. The RAH themselves play a big part
and stretch their own budget and resources to the limit to assist TCT
to make as much profit as possible.

It is the response of the public that matters most, and walking on to
face a crushed and friendly Full House last night made me grateful to
be a performer. Bill often says that bands do these charity events
simply because we can. Rock star motives always come into question,
but to be honest I don't always give the cause as much thought as I
might. It's fun to play a gig, the bigger the better. If I don't get
paid, you may be subjected to my wonky thinking in doubtful penance.
I may not get paid, but you the audience still pay. Good for you. Good for TCT.

.......but what Roger said on stage yesterday bears repetition: Get
involved. Do something. We can all make a difference. He really does
get involved. He really does make a difference and that's why he got
his CBE. Not everything about the British Establishment needs to be
worried at by the Terrier-Tykes of modern pop and rock. We are
getting a lot right, at last. The muddled politics of Who songs
ranging from Won't Get Fooled Again to Black Widow's Eyes and on to
Tommy scrambled into a coherent idea last night. At least I think
they did. Was I really there?

Joe in Philly