What Pete Wants

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Thu Mar 31 23:24:29 CST 2005

> From: "Frate, Chris \(EM, PTL\)" <chris.frate at penske.com>
> Date: March 30, 2005 8:30:49 AM CST
>
> Wow! That was incredibly insightful AND bitter.

But was it true?

> Pete has no message. He only has an overwhelming need to write music.

For whom, if there's no message?  He certainly went to, and goes to, a
lot of trouble to get his music out to the public, implying there's a
lot more to Pete's writing than self-entertainment.

> He hates The Who and looks down on Rock and Roll as a legitimate
> medium.

He might hate The Who, or at least resent the fact that his success is
tied up inexorably with it and his solo successes, at least monetarily,
never equaled his work with The Who.  But there are numerous interviews
in which he talks about the importance of rock and its power to change
the world.  (Whether that actually came true is debatable.)  Or are you
saying that *right now* he feels that way?

> Pete has no desire to create anything under the banner of The Who ever
> again. He won't say it out loud, because he needs us to finance his
> next
> yachting trip by staying tuned in with our futile hopes.

I think that ironically, if money is his only motivation to write, he
won't be able to produce something good enough to get much of it from
us (his fans) or the general public.

> Pete has been made rich by creating something that is counter to his
> every
> instinct as an artist.

I just don't believe that Pete would be psychologically revolted by
something that enabled him to do what he did on stage and have the
audience interactions that he had.

> We as fans think The Who is the most incredible
> musical invention. Pete doesn't share our fascination. Roger does.

I think Pete hates to be pressured into doing things, into cranking out
product.  And with Roger panting at the gates to record and/or tour,
writing anything for The Who must feel like he's giving in to Roger's
and the public's pressure.

> It's all so tragic really. To create something that so many people
> love and
> to loathe it yourself. That is Pete's dilemma and it is ours.

If true, that would be a terrible dilemma for Pete, but I don't see
that it's particularly ours.  We've had our music and our tours.  If
Pete/Roger/The Who choose to give us more, so much the better.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree
Townshend, 1967