Solo animated dreams...

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Thu Mar 31 19:43:01 CST 2005

> Pete's work has been pretty commercial, but not that much, as I listed
> before.

I still maintain, apart from WHO CAME FIRST, ROUGH MIX, & the
SCOOP series, that he was aiming/hoping for mass appeal with his solo
releases.

And WHO CAME FIRST cannot be looked upon as a true solo effort
because the record company asked Pete to release that album because
his previous (private!) Meher Baba tribute albums were being bootlegged.

I just can't accept the sentiment that Pete's solo albums don't sell well
because they're artistic/esoteric & not commercial.  TOMMY is artistic
& esoteric.  It sold well.  People will buy it if the music's good.

EMPTY GLASS had some good music.  People bought it.  CHINESE
EYES, less so.  WHITE CITY, less so.  IRON MAN, less so.  PSYCHO-
D, less so.

The record companies aren't there to finance Pete's personal artistic
visions.  They're in the business to make money.  Pete knows this.  They
backed Pete because he's a talented, respected artist.  He got his shot.
Several shots, actually.  And he couldn't produce a solo career with any
momentum.  Or, if you like, he *did* have momentum - just going in the
wrong direction!

I understand Pete will never write fluff like Phil Collins or Sting.  But I
don't believe he's completely satisfied when his solo albums don't sell -
thinking that, in any case, he's stayed true to his artistic integrity.

- SCHRADE in Akron