What Pete Wants

Frate, Chris (EM, PTL) chris.frate at penske.com
Wed Mar 30 08:30:49 CST 2005

Wow! That was incredibly insightful AND bitter. I understand though, because we fans can't help but feel this way when we wait and wait and yearn for something to look forward to from Pete and Rog. I don't think Pete hates The Who, but I think he must feel like it's a bit pointless without John and Keith, whose contributions I think he has always valued, especially when he found the band without those contributions. When he says in an interview that "...The Who was not the band I wanted...", he is being wry, not bitter. The very fact that he still allows Roger to drag him out from time to time as "The Who", when he'd rather be doing something else not so damaging to his ears shows how much affection he has for the band.

Roger is so down-to-earth that it's easy for him to say "this is what we do, so let's do it", but Pete is trying to be relevant and I just don't think he has found the inspiration yet, which is why he keeps revisiting Tommy and Quadrophenia and Lifehouse in new and different ways. I can't accept the fact that Pete's problems with the new album or with The Who in general in the 21st century are a way of taking advantage of us or blowing off Roger. More than anything I think he has writer's block because he keeps thinking that there is "Who music" and "Pete music" when they've always been one in the same. Maybe he thinks that without Keith and John the "Pete music" can't be translated into "Who music" anymore.

Okay, I'm starting to ramble...sorry. We really need more frequent diary entries from the guy.