What Pete Wants

David Huntington huntington at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 30 07:41:22 CST 2005

> But I see him more as an artist who wants
> to get *his* message across and would rather do that to a hundred thousand
> than to change it and reach a million.

I used to think this to. But it's bullshit. Pete has no message. He only has
an overwhelming need to write music. I think he's incredibly insecure about
what he does write and thus very sensitive when he's not hailed as the next
great musical composer.

He hates The Who and looks down on Rock and Roll as a legitimate medium.
Pete has no desire to create anything under the banner of The Who ever
again. He won't say it out loud, because he needs us to finance his next
yachting trip by staying tuned in with our futile hopes. This will be his
tragic flaw in the end. Roger, John and Keith were gifts to him and he has
turned up his nose in conceit. We will never see another album with Roger as
long as Pete can come up with enough excuses to last until Roger no longer
has the chops to sing.

Pete has been made rich by creating something that is counter to his every
instinct as an artist. We as fans think The Who is the most incredible
musical invention. Pete doesn't share our fascination. Roger does.

It's all so tragic really. To create something that so many people love and
to loathe it yourself. That is Pete's dilemma and it is ours.