Pete's solo success compared to peers...

Jim M NakedI at comcast.net
Tue Mar 29 08:22:51 CST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "O'Neal, Kevin W."

> Oh, I think Pete is happy making his own music.
> But, I think ego spurs him on (key words..."I think").
> He knows The Who is his bread and butter.
> Ya have to ask yourself why he again began to focus on The Who after the
> commercial failure of Psycho-D.
and

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Schrade"

> This I disagree with.  I believe Pete wants to be popular. (!)  (If I'm
> not under-
> standing your position, Jim, I apologize.)  What artist doesn't want his
> or her
> work to be enjoyed, studied, contemplated by the masses?  The converse
> of that would mean that Pete works hard (and slowly!) on his solo projects
> hoping to only sell 50 or a 100 thousand copies.

I can see your points.  It's not as if Pete wouldn't be happy if his records
sold millions.  I think he would.  But I see him more as an artist who wants
to get *his* message across and would rather do that to a hundred thousand
than to change it and reach a million.  I'm basing that opinion on his solo
catalog itself.  Let's look back on what he's released and assess each to
see if it was produced for maximum commercial success (i.e., if sales were
his main goal).

Who Came First - A collection of demo's and prayers to an obscure Indian
messiah.  Not a commercial venture at all.  Pete putting himself out there
to give his fans a view into his soul.

Rough Mix - A quirky collaboration with a dear friend who's commercial
appeal had faded.  Certainly not an attempt to top the charts.

Empty Glass - Largely commercial.  However, the hit singles were a prayer
disguised as a love song and a song about homosexual attraction. Included
many songs that could have been used by The Who.  You could say he was
trying to advance his solo career or maybe just break away from The Who.

Chinese Eyes - Although this album produced a couple of radio friendly
tracks, much of it is modern poetry spoken over contemporary music.  Pretty
well publicized, though, so clearly an attempt to produce *his* art while
achieving some success.

White City - Face the Face is probably Pete's most commercial single   Far
more mainstream musically than Chinese Eyes and followed up and further
promoted by...

Deep End Live - ...this live album.  Taken together, I'd rate these as
Pete's single greatest attempt at general popularity.

the 'Scoop' series - Clearly intended for hardcore fans.  And heavy on Who
content, to boot.  Not an attempt at solo success at all.

Iron Man - What an odd choice.  After several years of inactivity, he
produces this children's story set to music, complete with falsetto vocals
and talking 'woodland creatures'.  I don't think he could have found
anything much less commercial.

Psychoderelict - Pete doing what he does best.  Putting a strange,
uncomfortable story to loud rock music.  Commercially, an odd choice to
release a version with spoken dialog (looks more like an attempt to double
his sales to his hardcore fans than to reach the general public, to me).  A
pedophilia story line, which is never good for sales.  And, if he's trying
to prove himself as a solo artist, why is he sampling Who songs?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fency"

>I think he wants to be effective, to be participative, to be important...

Yes.  He loves being thought of as deep and thoughtful.  He want to be
'obscure and oblique' not 'popular.'  Remember, Scott, he changed that
lyric!

At least that's my view.

Jim M