The Times on the Delay

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 27 11:54:57 CST 2005

Repost from Whochat Forum:

>small part from todays Times newspaper:

Hopes of The Who are beaten by Oasis
By Adam Sherwin

THE WHO have postponed the release of their first album in 23 years because
their drummer has gone on tour with the rock band Oasis.

Pete Townshend, The Who’s guitarist, said that plans to release the record
this summer had been delayed because Zac Starkey, the son of the former
Beatle Ringo Starr and one of the most sought-after drummers in rock music,
would be playing with Oasis until the end of the year.

Townshend wrote on his website: “The release date I had hoped for in the
late spring or very early summer was whipped from under my nose after three
years of writing.

“Shows we hoped to do in the early summer seemed to fizzle and we lost our
drummer to Oasis until January 2006. All alternatives proposed, and which I
have desperately considered, do not fit in with my current commitments.”

The album will appear next year, he said. The Who’s last album, It’s Hard,
was released in 1982 but Townshend and Roger Daltrey, the band’s singer,
said that they would continue recording despite the death of the band’s bass
player, John Entwistle, in Las Vegas in 2002. Keith Moon, the band’s
original drummer, died from an accidental drug overdose in 1978.

Oasis has sold out Madison Square Gardens in New York and will tour the rest
of America with the rising British band Kasabian. Don’t Believe The Truth,
the sixth Oasis studio album, will be released in May.

The Liverpool band The La’s are reforming after a 13-year absence. The band
will return to the stage in June