Pete's Diary

Frate, Chris (EM, PTL) chris.frate at penske.com
Wed Mar 23 17:38:56 CST 2005

In the documentary about the Clash, "Westway to the World" I think it's called, Joe Strummer at one point can be seen almost teary-eyed, lamenting the break-up of the band, because he has come to the realization that the magic The Clash together will always be greater than anyone of them alone.

I think that Roger is keenly aware of this regarding The Who. Pete on the other hand is burdened by it. To Roger, though he does many different things and is very busy, singing with The Who is what he was "born to do," his one true vocation.  I don't think Pete has come to that realization or maybe rejects it. Furthermore, if the new album stinks, critics and fans may say "Roger's voice isn't what it used to be", "It sure sounds different without John", or "They've never been the same since Keith died", which is all true. However, the ultimate success or failure of the project rests on the writer: Pete. How can anyone create anything under such duress? When he does solo stuff I'm not sure he cares if anyone likes it or not, as long as he feels good about doing it. The expectations are completely different for The Who.

While it seems that he has enjoyed touring these last few years, perhaps for the first time in his life, he must feel that he  is something of a sell out if he just goes around doing oldies tours.

-Chris in Cleveland