Pete sets the record straight - New Diary Entry...

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Mon Mar 21 18:58:48 CST 2005

> The new Who album has been delayed, not cancelled.

Well, now we know for sure why Daltrey seemed miffed at Pete in
that recent interview.

> The release date I had hoped for in the late spring or very early
> summer was whipped from under my nose after three years of writing.

Yeah, what does that mean?  Sounds like the album isn't completed.
That's down to them.  Who exactly did the "whipping.?"

> Shows we hoped to do in the early summer seemed to fizzle,

???

> and we lost our drummer to Oasis until January 2006.

Ha!  Like he was kidnapped!

> All alternatives proposed, and which I have desperately considered,
> do not fit in with my current commitments. I am committed to record
> the music for my new story The Boy Who Heard Music.

So, there wouldn't have been a 2005 Who tour/album anyway.  Right?
So, why set the Spring/Summer 2005 deadline?

> I am also completing my autobiography later this year.

Unless it gets whipped.  Or it fizzles.  I'll say....2008 on the autobiography.

> Sadly, this forces a postponement of the planned Who activity this year
> for some indeterminate time.

Picture steam coming out of Daltrey's ears.

> I had lots of plans, but no hard schedule.  And that is what has created
> this predicament.

Or.......you really don't want to do any of that stuff so you approached it
in a half-assed manner.  Maybe?

> It's probably my fault,

Nah....come on, Pete.  Don't be so hard on yourself.

> because I work very slowly in the studio, and either no one believed
> I was actually recording, or they got tired of waiting.

Who is this directed at?  Zak?  Did anyone think to keep him informed?
Isn't that how they lost Kenney?  Yeah, maybe Zak *did* get tired of
waiting.  Let's see.....tour with Oasis & make loads of money, or wait
for Pete to finish the new Who album that's been talked about for the
past 16 years.

> I should say that Roger has done what he calls sketch vocals on several
> tracks I produced,

Sketch vocals.  I've heard 'em called scratch vocals.  Or guide vocals.
Daltrey calls 'em sketch vocals.

> and the results are very exciting.

Well, at least *someone's* enjoying the new Who album!  ;-o

> But I feel I can't tour any more with the Who without a new record.

Notice how this directly follows the Daltrey info.  This "I can't tour any
more with the Who without a new record" declaration must've really
set Daltrey off.

> So until that record is actually in my hands, I must hold my breath and
> live in hope.

Well, there it is.  All future Who tours are dependent on the materiali-
zation of the elusive "new album."  And all that sounds like it's on hold
pending work on Pete's new solo album & his autobiography.

Picture steam coming out of Daltrey's ears.

- SCHRADE in Akron