Touts rip off cancer concert fans

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 06:37:30 CST 2005

>From the Manchester News at:
http://tinyurl.com/43ubn

Touts rip off cancer concert fans
Don Frame

SICK touts are cashing in on concerts for a cancer
charity by selling tickets at up to three times their
face value on the internet.

Stars including Eric Clapton, UB40, Roger Daltrey,
Brit Award winners Franz Ferdinand, Robert Plant and
comic Peter Kay are appearing for no fees at a series
of gigs for the Teenage Cancer Trust next month.

But touts are already offering much sought-after
tickets on top auction site eBay.

One seller had a pair of tickets for Keane at the
Royal Albert Hall for £200, almost double their face
value.

Tickets for Bolton comic Peter Kay, which should be on
offer from £33 to £50, are going for £150 each.

Now touts selling on the net are being urged by the
charity's chief executive Simon Davies to make amends.

Donations

He said: "We urge all the eBay sellers - some of them
making more than treble the face value of the tickets
at the charity's expense - to do the right thing and
make donations to the TCT."

The Trust, which has teamed up with Virgin Radio to
stage the annual events, is also contacting eBay in a
bid to halt the profiteers.

The week-long line up of concerts will raise vital
cash to help treat teenagers with cancer and
organisers say they are sure prices being demanded by
touts will get even higher as the benefit gigs sell
out.

Virgin Radio DJ Ben Jones, who had a terrifying brush
with cancer as a teenager, said: "I was horrified when
I discovered the amounts some people were charging.

"I can't believe people can actually sit down and plan
to make money out of a charity like this.

"It's disgusting. Every penny raised by these concerts
goes to making life better for teenagers fighting
cancer."

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com