Rachel at SXSW

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 18 13:25:18 CST 2005

Repost from TheShout.  The full article is also interesting:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000846325

"...Next stop, the BBC2 barbeque. We get there too late for our first taste
of Texas' finest culinary contribution to the planet, but the music is still
full swing. Liverpudlian singer/songwriter Amy Smith, despite being sick,
serves up a lovely, piano-driven set. She's followed by Rachel Fuller, whose
underrated Universal set, "Cigarettes and Housework," came out last summer
in the United States; a U.K. release is still pending.

Seated behind a grand piano, Fuller's delicate, lovely voice and songs fit
perfectly into the current "chanteuse" mood of such acts as Nellie McKay --
although Fuller isn't quite as quirky. However, she certainly provided a
wacky SXSW moment: Tall Texan Jerry Hall joined her on "Around This Table,'
reciting lyrics supported by Fuller's singing. Bless her heart, as we say in
the South -- she should stick to modeling."