Help with Music Publishing Questions

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:00:32 CST 2005

Hey, folks.  I'm under the impression there are some musicians on this list
and I need some help with advice.  Would you guys help me out?

I've got a friend who's a very talented songwriter/composer/musician, but of
course he's got no money and he's working as a pizza delivery guy.  I've
been telling him he needs to either self-publish or else find a publisher so
he can get some money coming in from his music. He's got a promo CD and DVD
of soundtracks made up, and I've looked around at the BMI and ASCAP
websites.  Is it better for young musicians breaking in to try
self-publishing these days, or go with a publisher?  If you go with a
publisher, how do you find a good, reputable one that won't rip you off?
Are rip offs common?  What kind of deal should he make?  Any recommendations
as to what publishers he should approach?

My friend's music ranges from a new age sound to fairly heavy rock/metal and
he's got a pretty distinctive sound.  He's got some songs he's done with
bands, but lately he's been recording his own stuff with multitracks.
Thanks for any and all help.