Music Business News from Robert Fripp (King Crimson)

L. Bird pkeets at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 09:07:34 CST 2005

Repost from Robert Fripp's online diary blog.  Brief Who reference:

>Sean Fitzpatrick, artist-friendly A&R man, has copied to us an e-mail that
>is doing the rounds of the music biz. To put the letter in context, for
>innocent visitors to the music-industry world of deceit, greed, hubris,
>exploitation & theft, the subject is recent bonuses paid to Warner Music
>executives. From the Financial Times online…

Warner Music executives net $21m
by Tim Burt in London
Published: February 20 2005 21:59 Last updated: February 20 2005 21:59

Warner Music, the former subsidiary of Time Warner, paid its top five
executives more than $21m in salary and bonuses following last year's $2.6bn
acquisition of the US music group by a private equity consortium.

The pay-outs include further guaranteed bonuses or change of control
payments at the world's fourth-largest music group, boasting 38,000 artists
including Green Day, Linkin Park and Madonna.

According to documents filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission,
last year's total executive remuneration was more than three times higher
than Warner Music's $7m operating income for the 10 months to September 30.

In that period, the company reversed previous operating losses of $197m as
sales increased from $2.49bn to $2.55bn.

The management payments reflect Warner's success in cutting costs following
last year's completion of the Time Warner disposal. The company expects to
deliver $250m of annualised savings by May this year, achieved mainly
through 1,600 job losses.

Of the top management, Edgar Bronfman Jr, the chairman who led last year's
buy-out, received a $1m salary and $5.25m bonus. Paul-Rene Albertini, head
of Warner's international operations, was paid $1.25m in salary and a $3.15m
bonus.

Lyor Cohen, head of the US recorded music business, received $1m and $5.24m
respectively. Les Bider, the veteran chairman of the Warner Chappell music
publishing business, received a $2.44m total payment.

The SEC document, filed as part of a $565m bond exchange offer by Warner
Music, also reveals misgivings by outside auditors over internal accounting
skills and royalty payment systems.

In its "S4" filing, Warner insists it has addressed problem areas such as
appointing a permanent chief financial officer and establishing an audit
committee.

But the company admits "additional measures will be necessary and these
measures along with other measures we expect to take to improve our internal
controls may not be sufficient to address the issues identified by our
outside auditors".

Warner Music explained that these further measures would involve setting up
financial controls and management systems that were previously handled by
Time Warner, its former parent company, but were absent in the demerged
company.

The weaknesses were identified as Warner Music is considering a potential
initial public offering in the first half of this year, expected to place a
$5bn enterprise value on the company.

The audit concerns do not relate to executive remuneration.

In short, the top five executives at Warner Music received huge bonuses for
reducing costs (achieved by sacking 25% of the workforce).

One of Warner Music's let-go employees wrote an e-letter to Edgar Bronfman
Jr. on the last day of his employment, before moving to Portugal. Sean tells
us he snuck off from his leaving drinks-party back into the office. What
isn't immediately obvious from the message is that man who originally sent
it copied every single Warner Music employee worldwide on it. As a result,
it has spread through the entire industry.

Since this is now effectively public domain, I include the posting in full…