Sex Pistols

Christian Naess revolium at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 18:01:21 CST 2005

>By the way, can somebody explain the Sex Pistols
thing to me? They always
>just sounded like a bunch of guys who were
controversial for the sake of
>being controversial and who couldn't really play
their instruments very
>well.

I don't believe what I'm reading. This is 2005, and a
person in his/her right mind rate Chicago as more
influential than the Sex Pistols! (With all respect to
early Chicago...) I reckon you're not British. I am
not either, but the importance of the Sex Pistols can
not be overstated.

There was never a Sex Pistols "thing" (now I know
you're American), and there was never a Malcolm
McLaren "Rock & Roll Swindle" either. There was one
band. ONE BAND and FIVE MILLION imitators (and
counting).

Sorry. I really don't mean to be harsh, but you
obviously didn't wanna give them a chance in the first
place. Those who do, however, should go buy/rent a DVD
called "The Filth & The Fury", available in all good
stores. It's a beautiful portrait of the Pistols,
where the band is put into historical context, and
their story is told through moving interviews (John
Lydon cries at one point) and film from 1975-1978.

The absence of the Pistols in the Rock & Roll Hall Of
Fame (while copyists like The Clash are there in
numerous amounts) is downright embarrassing.

Not being able to play? Bill Price (engineer on "Never
Mind The Bollocks"), who went from being studio
engineer for Decca in the 60's to later work with Pete
Townshend, Stone Roses, Robert Plant, Guns N' Roses
and Roxy Music, just to name you some, had the
following to say about Pistols guitarist Steve Jones:
"Steve Jones is probably the tightest rhythm guitar
player I've ever heard in my life."

Some claim that Chicago is the second most important
American act (after the Beach Boys) ever, while others
marble at the fact that after each Sex Pistols gig at
LEAST five bands were formed. Many of them now in the
Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

- Chris