Lukewarm About Petra

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Mon Mar 14 17:53:28 CST 2005

I gotta admit, my reaction to the Petra CD is much more lukewarm than
the glowing reviews she's been receiving from the press & other Who
fans.

There's a certain hoakiness, a goofiness, about the CD.  I guess one can
say this goofiness mirrors the goofiness of the band's original concept, but,
musically, I just don't hear the transcendent beauty that Pete seems to
find in it.

Yes, the songs have a stripped down, bare essence feel to them - remin-
iscent of Pete's demos - but to hear her imitate instrument sounds with
"doo-doo-doo, "dum-dum-dum," "rrrrrrllllllll," "nnnnnnrrrrrrr" noises & the
like.....didn't exactly make me feel like I was hearing the album in a new
way - at times, it made me cringe.

And when she busts out in a vocal imitation of one of Pete's guitar solos,
I couldn't help but snicker while visualizing some fool in headphones doing
an air-guitar solo.

And her voice doesn't engage me much, either.  Some songs are sung in
a seemingly bored monotone - reflecting the homework assignment that
this project was for her, while others, at least, have a little bit of life &
emotion in them ("Sunrise" for example).  It's rather uneven.

I really wanted to like this CD.  I enjoy hearing Pete's songs sung by fe-
males.  But this CD just didn't do it for me.

I'll give her credit for tackling the project & having the guts to release it.
But this isn't a CD I'll listen to over & over.  I think I like the cover art
more than the actual music.

Grade:  C

- SCHRADE in Akron