Roger Interview in UNCUT (April 2005 issue)

Frate, Chris (EM, PTL) chris.frate at penske.com
Sat Mar 5 14:36:07 CST 2005

This interview shouldn't even be a blip on the radar screen. This is the way Pete and Roger always interact. Remember a few years ago when Pete was on Letterman and he couldn't resist blasting Roger for touring with the British Rock Symphony? They're kind of like sniping siblings at this point. Also, I wouldn't think Roger would want to do a Who thing just for the money either, because Pete always said that they got together to get extra money for John, not Roger. I think Roger is fairly frugal, plus he also works quite a bit on other things that make a little money.

I think it's pretty obvious that if the members of The Who had never gotten together, Pete probably would have been the most successful, but we can all agree that if any one of them had not been around, they couldn't have become what they are, which is arguably the third or fourth greatest band in rock history (of course, to us they're number 1). No matter how Pete grumbles about "this wasn't the band I wanted," it's a bit tongue-in-cheek, because he knows the band he ended up with is better than the band he wanted.

I'm sure Pete will have something to say about the interview at some point. He seems to be fairly at peace with the concept of "Who2", so let's hope the album isn't shelved. It won't be as good as we hope, but it would be better than nothing.

-Chris in Cleveland