'Traffic' Drummer Jim Capaldi Dies of Cancer

An English Boy peter_dennis_blandford_townshend at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:45:39 CST 2005

It is with the most sad of hearts that I send this message regarding the
passing, today, of the gentle, loving, greatly talented Jim Capaldi.

I'll never forget the time he told me..."NEVER leave home without a
Traffic album!"

I love and will always miss you, Jim.

Baba Anand!

Lew Campbell~

'Traffic' Drummer Jim Capaldi Dies of Cancer

By Jeremy Lovell

LONDON (Reuters) - Legendary rock drummer and Hall of Fame inductee
Jim Capaldi died on Friday after a brief fight with stomach cancer,
his publicist said.

The 60-year-old Capaldi, born in England of Italian immigrant parents,
died in his sleep at the London Clinic in the early hours with his
wife and family at his bedside.

Capaldi, whose driving rock rhythms and songwriting ability helped
make groundbreaking band Traffic a household name in the 1960s and 70s
with -- among others -- Steve Winwood and Dave Mason -- also had an
illustrious solo career.

"Steve rang me when he heard this morning. He is very upset. They were
very close and had plans to record and tour again. He was praying Jim
would recover from his illness," Winwood's manager Mick Newton told
Reuters.

Capaldi was inducted into the U.S. Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame in March
2004, just five months before being diagnosed with terminal cancer.

When Traffic finally broke up in 1974 after releasing 11 albums --
including the iconic songs 40,000 Headmen, Dear Mr Fantasy and Paper
Sun -- Capaldi was already doing solo work.

He moved to solo success with the albums Fierce Heart and Some Come
Running while touring with his own band The Contenders.

Capaldi was already working on his 12th solo album when Winwood -- who
also scored major solo successes -- called him back to collaborate on
a new album.

One thing led to another and Traffic reformed in 1993 followed by a
major five-month tour of the United States in 1994, including
appearing at Woodstock and playing alongside The Grateful Dead.

In 1998, Capaldi teamed up with fellow Traffic founder Mason to tour
again.

Capaldi was five times winner of BMI or ASCAP awards for the most
played songs in America and cooperated closely with Eric Clapton,
George Harrison, Bob Marley, Carlos Santana and the Eagles among others.

In 1975 he married Brazilian-born Aninha and spent much time with her
helping the street children of her native country.