Iron Man

Jim M NakedI at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 20:36:05 CST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "L. Bird"

> I guess there were twice this many songs?  Maybe that would help.  If I
> didn't know how this story ran, I would NEVER figure it out from Pete's
> lyrics.

You could say that about all of Pete's operas.  Even the double albums don't
really explain the story fully.  Luckily there are usually liner notes or
dialog to fill in the gaps.

> I really like the way Roger sings this on the '89 tour video, but again, I
> don't think the song carries a lot of weight.  I through it makes a simple
> metaphoric statement and then the rest of it is embellishment on the same
> theme.  Where do you see that about "indictment of hate, narrow-mindedness
> and bigotry"?

The main theme of the story is not to judge by appearances, good or bad.
When the Iron Man first appears, he is frightening and misunderstood, but
turns out to save the world from a monster who was so beautiful Hogarth fell
in love with her from afar.  The song Dig exposes that irony with a simple
metaphor, as you say, but just about every word is laced with symbolism and
multiple meanings.  Light, beast, resurrection, soul, it's actually quite a
spiritual song; "the last meets the least by the watering hole."  We're all
equal, none greater or less than any other...The Sea Refuses No River.

Jim M