Where we all at, at the moment?

Scott Schrade schrade at akrobiz.com
Mon Jan 17 18:06:47 CST 2005

> You're right.  In many ways, this is going to be more like one of Pete's
> solo albums.  But, Roger's going to be singing

I hope the songs accommodate Roger's diminished range.  Sounds harsh,
but I think Pete has the better, wider range at this stage in their lives.

> and, allegedly, contributing songs!

Wonder how many of those will get played live.

> How much of a "stir" has this new U2 album caused?  About what you're
> describing, right?

Well, VERTIGO has hit No.1 in the U.S., the U.K., & Canada.  I don't
expect the new Who album to do that.  U2 has momentum.  They've
been releasing albums & playing live shows practically nonstop since 1980.

> What can The Who do with about 1% of the publicity?

Hope for a Top Twenty?  Which, when said, doesn't sound so outrageous
to me.  Haven't their recent greatest hits comps been charting well in the
U.K.?  And fairly well in the States?

What disturbs me is the way RGLB & ORW seemed to have been ignored
by most radio stations.  I never heard either one on the radio.  I know they
were played in other areas of the country.  And, despite in the Lewinski
market, they never became "hits."

> Sometimes really mediocre stuff is very popular.  Think 80's Genesis.

Not a Genesis fan, sorry.

>  Pete Townshend has never made a bad album, in my mind,

IRON MAN is pretty bad.  IMO.

> What do you consider to be the last *great* album Pete or The Who
> have released?

Pete's last great album was WHITE CITY.  The Who's last great album
was A QUICK ONE.  Ha!  Just kidding.  I guess The Who's last great
album was WHO ARE YOU - an arguable statement, I realize.

- SCHRADE in Akron