Houston 75 (Take 4)

Alan McKendree amck at thenetdr.com
Mon Jan 17 15:53:35 CST 2005

> From: "Bruce" <bkawak at chartertn.net>
> Date: January 17, 2005 12:07:12 AM CST
>
>> I guess this would have to be considered semi-legit, as the film
>> owners hold the copyright?
>
> Nope, the owners own the tape no copyright  of it's contents.

Right.

> From: "L. Bird" <pkeets at hotmail.com>
> Date: January 17, 2005 7:54:44 AM CST
>
> Here's a comment from Soho Doorway about the Houston gig.  You wonder
> how they lost the film, as I would expect this to be something that
> Pete would have in his storage vault.
> I understand the owner of the film offered it to The Who before it was
> bought by the current owners.

As I remember the story, the original 3/4" tape from the in-house
closed-circuit TV was apparently carried home at some point by one of
the cameramen -- perhaps the venue kept it initially, and then when The
Who decided not to release it they just forgot about it and left it
with the venue.  (I believe it was the first use of this in-house CCTV
system.) Eventually the cameraman's son found it in the garage.  It was
bought or otherwise acquired (can't remember) from him by someone who
offered it to sell it to The Who's management, for a possible legit
release.  They refused to buy it (for fear they'd lose money on the
release), but also refused to authorize the new owner to release it
himself (for fear he'd make a mint, and they'd look like idiots).
Eventually it was sold to a small group of investors for their private
enjoyment.  From there, I don't know how the audio and now video boots
leaked out.  More specifically, I don't know if the release under
discussion is directly from that group of investors or from someone
they trusted in error.

FWIW, I was at that show too.

Cheers,
Alan McKendree