Pete attended Tommy rehearsal

Brian Cady brianinatlanta2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 10:32:07 CST 2005

>From icBirmingham at:
http://tinyurl.com/3w8z6

Pinball wizard onto a winner Feb 18 2005
Review - Tommy At The Hippodrome

Nearly 40 years after starting life as a concept
album, The Who's Tommy has remained a rock legend.

The original pinball wizard, immortalised in Ken
Russell's cult 1975 film, is now weaving its magic on
a new generation.

And there was no shortage of celebrities at this UK
premiere, including TV presenters Ant and Dec,
producer Bill Kenwright, actress Jenny Seagrove, and
former Aston Villa and England manager Graham Taylor.

But there was no sign of Robbie Williams, the best
mate of the show's star, Jonathan Wilkes, who was
rumoured to be attending.

This is the first musical version of Tommy since The
Who's guitarist Pete Townshend, who wrote the original
music and lyrics, helped stage a Broadway production
in 1993.

And Bill Kenwright revealed last night, "Pete came to
see it in rehearsal last week and said it's exactly
how he intended it to be done.

"It's a difficult musical to do. Over the years the
storyline has been slowly etched out but we have gone
back to basics after the Ken Russell film."

The mantle of Tommy, made famous by The Who lead
singer Roger Daltrey in the film, passes to the
talented Wilkes.

While not possessing the raw rock power of Daltrey, he
nevertheless performs well in the style of previous
successes such as Grease and The Rocky Horror Show.

The Who fans will be more than happy with the stage
band's rendition of classics such as Pinball Wizard,
I'm Free, and See Me, Feel Me. But there was also
plenty for later generations to enjoy in this
high-energy show as the story of the "deaf, dumb and
blind kid" gradually unfolds.

Performances continue until February 26.

Tony Collins

-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!
http://www.thewhothismonth.com